Saturday, April 04, 2009

Great start...

I saw this "stumbling" around the internet:

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive. . . .” And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: “Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?”

Then it was quiet again. My attorney had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process. “What the hell are you yelling about?” he muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. “Never mind,” I said. “It’s your turn to drive.” I hit the brakes and aimed the Great Red Shark toward the shoulder of the highway. No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough."
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson

I read Fear and Loathing a while back, but reading the first two paragraphs of it again, reminded me of how much I like Thompson's writing style. This makes me want peruse that book again, right after I finish Callisto. Which is turning out to be a real page turner, I highly recommend it. I'll have a book review of it after I finish the last fifth.

No comments: